Tutorials, Random Fun, Recipes, Vegan Recipes, Daily Tips and Tricks

Monday 21 May 2012

Hollowmen



4/5 Stars
Hollowmen
By Amanda Hockings
Second in Hollows Series
Self Published?
Genre: zombie apocalypse










**If you haven't read the first book this is a bit of a spoiler***  When we first crack open this zombie apocalypse book we're a thrust into Remy's nightmare life of being a guinea pig for the remaining scientist -and it's very graphically described.  But we're in luck! Remy makes a somewhat triumphant escape -while awake on a operating table- when the base has been compromised by invading zombies, yey! Of the few people remaining at the compound - they've been evacuated due to the zombies getting smarter- Tataum had stayed behind to help her escape. They race to where the rest of the final group of people fleeing the compound are situated and campout in an army truck till daybreak.  Remy convinces the survivors that it's a better idea to go south instead of north because she had encountered people with guns and food at a base - also helps her on her never ending quest to save her brother who is located at this base!  So the group embarks on south none the wiser that sh** has hardcore hit the fan down there.

This book is definitely more vivid when it comes to people having their guts ripped out, for me not really a selling point by for others who aren't as squimish as me I'm sure it won't faze them.  I unfortunately have a very good imagination so when she starts talking about intestines I can see ALL of it in my head.  I felt there was something missing in the writing, while I still liked the book I didn't love it like the first one.  It could be because Remy didn't have as many good zingers, or maybe the character dynamics weren't as good as the first group of travellers, maybe Remy becomes a little too cut off emotionally, but something was lacking to me. The writing seemed a little bit sloppy - I'm don't think this is the case for the first book, but I think reading Blindspot is partially to blame since the writing in it was so well done making Hockings look not as advanced.

Would I recommend a read?  If you really liked the first one and you're dying to see what happens to Remy, yes, I don't regret reading it, I still killed the book in a matter or 2 or 3 days. The chapters are short and suspenseful so it's easy to blow through it.  Heck, if she writes a third one, (which doesn't seem to be in the works yet - but Hollowmen was just released) I'd read it.  Though I must admit I'm intrigued about the graphic novel being released I think some time this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment